Thursday, January 10, 2008

Source of Joy

As a mom, I have had moments when I have watched one of my children make some bizarre choice and I have wondered, "have I taught them anything?" You know, one of those things that, before you became a parent, you said, "my child will NEVER do that!" It's a very humbling experience!

But then, as a mom, I've had times when my children have astonished and amazed me with the most remarkable choices and comments. Those times, I think, are even more humbling for me.

The name Abigail means "source of joy" or "father's joy," and our Abigail definitely brings joy to our family. She has, honestly, always amazed me with her sensitivity towards God and her desire to serve and please Him. Even at the youngest age, if she would make a bad choice, and I would ask her if her choice would make Jesus happy, she would immediately burst into tears. Not because she had displeased me, but she hadn't brought joy to her Jesus. I thought I'd share with you a few moments that we've had together recently that have brought me joy (and I know have brought great joy to Jesus, too).

Mark was praying with Abby at bedtime a week or so ago, and she said to him, "Dad, you know when I think about Jesus dying on the cross for me, it makes my hands hurt because I think of how much it hurt Him to have to die on the cross for my sins."

When our niece had her birthday party last week, she was, of course, given the first piece of birthday cake. Abby's aunt then asked Abby next what kind of cake & ice cream she wanted. Abby said that she wanted to wait and go last. When I asked her later that night why she did that, she said because she knew that Jesus wants us to put others first.

While we were doing all of our painting and more painting this last week, the boys were often "displaced" from their bedrooms and had to sleep on the floor in someone else's rooms because their rooms either had wet paint or a strong paint smell. Cole slept on the floor in Abby's room on Tuesday night because of the paint smell in his new room with Ethan. Apparently, Cole woke up about 1:00 in the morning and started crying (something he thankfully does not normally do!) Abby asked him what was wrong and he said he wanted mommy. Abby told him that mommy was sleeping and because she didn't want him to wake me up, she told him that he could crawl in bed with her. And so the two of them slept together in Abby's twin bed until 7:00 Wednesday morning.

I certainly don't tell you these stories to boast of my great parenting skills. As I said, these stories are very humbling to me, and I know that it is because of the power of God working in Abby that she is making these choices. We are very blessed to have this source of joy in our midst!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great kids! I love reading about other families. Thanks for sharing your encouraging stories s othat we all might have the heart of Christ!

The Pace Posse said...

It sounds like you have an amazing daughter. Thank you for sharing those joys. It warmed my heart!

The Aldridge's said...

While reading this post (and getting a little misty) Kate walked by and ask who that was in the picture.

I told her, "Her name is Abby. Do you want to meet her?"

Kate replied all wide eyed, "YES me want to!"

Man, I can't wait for June!