Friday, April 25, 2008

The Shack

I just finished reading The Shack by William Young. While I'm not sure that I'm ready to say that I agree with absolutely everything in this book, it most certainly has a very powerful message. In short, the main character (Mackenzie) comes to a place where he meets God in the three separate persons in the Father (Papa), Son (Jesus), and Spirit (Sarayu). Following is part of one of my favorite conversations that takes place.

"But don't you want us to set priorities? You know: God first, then whatever, followed by whatever?"

"The trouble with living by priorities," Sarayu spoke, "is that it sees everything as a hierarchy, a pyramid, and you and I have already had that discussion. If you put God at the top, what does that really mean and how much is enough? How much time do you give me before you can go on about the rest of your day, the part that interests you so much more?"

Papa again interrupted. "You see, Mackenzie, I don't just want a piece of you and a piece of your life. Even if you were able, which you are not, to give me the biggest piece, that is not what I want. I want all of you and all of every part of you and your day."

Jesus now spoke again. "Mack, I don't want to be first among a list of values; I want to be at the center of everything. When I live in you, then together we can live through everything that happens to you. Rather than a pyramid, I want to be the center of a mobile, where everything in your life - your friends, family, occupation, thoughts, activities - is connected to me but moves with the wind, in and out and back and forth, in an incredible dance of being."



I know that I have "bought into" the idea of God being "first" in my life, AT the top of a pyramid. Though this was certainly a conscious (and, I thought, "righteous") choice, I don't think that I consciously realized that having this type of view also separates God from the rest of my life. But how much better for Him to be IN the center of my life, a part of absolutely everything.

This book definitely challenged my view of God, humbled me in my realization of how much I limit Him in my own little mind, and encouraged me beyond words with the realization that He is "especially fond of me."

6 comments:

Miller's Rock! said...

The moment I was done reading your post I immediately remembered when Evan was 10 and we went to Dightman's and I bought him a necklace-a little round circle that said Christ centered. We talked about what that meant. It was a very meaningful, heartfelt conversation. Thanks for reminding me of that great day!

The Aldridge's said...

I told you it was good!!! Cheryl is still reading it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

When is Mark going to start it?
:-)

Pat

The Pace Posse said...

I am glad that you enjoyed it and found some things to challenge you in it. I think that's it's purpose.

I don't think it would be possible to agree with it in it's entirety - simply because it is a work of fiction and not intended to be truth.

I love that God is using this work of someone's imagination to bring people closer to Him. For me, that in itself is a reminder that God can use any avenue He sees fit to bring us to Him.

Blessing to you!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Brenda just started this book. We've had a few people recommend it.

Love the excerpt though.

Joel Mayward said...

I'm glad you read it! It's quite a thought-provoking book. Good post!

Rachel said...

Thanks for posting this...I had the book "The Shack" for quite awhile now and just couldn't seem to pick it up and begin reading. I read your post and thought I should give it a try...It was life changing :) I'm glad I did.