Sunday, February 8, 2009

My New Favorite Recipe - Texas Caviar

I first tasted this super-delicious dip when Mark's dad made it for a family gathering. It was so yummy that I had to get the recipe from him. I have since made it several times for various gatherings, and it has always gotten great reviews (from everyone except my husband, who refuses to try it). I am not normally a bean lover, but this is so delicious, you HAVE to try it!



1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can white shoepeg corn
1 small jar pimento
1 chopped jalapeno pepper (or one small can)
1 small red onion (chopped small)
2 stalks celery (chopped small)
1 small green pepper (chopped small)

Dressing:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 TBsp water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil

Boil dressing ingredients for 1-2 minutes and then pour over all other ingredients. Let marinade in refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight. When ready to serve, drain well and serve with Frito scoops, tortilla scoops, or any way you like it! Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you bring that to the baby shower on Thursday night? It looked so good but for some unexplainable reason, I didn't try it, even though I AM normally a bean lover! So I am glad you shared it here. I've already copied, pasted, printed, three-whole punched, and placed it in my recipe binder. It reminds me of a tasty recipe I have for corn salad. I'll copy it and pop it in the mail to you. I tried gumbo at a local restaurant last night, so certainly Mark can take a "no thank you" helping of your Texas caviar! :)

sarah said...

I have a simular recipe and love it too! I am definately trying it!

Miller's Rock! said...

I love it too! I'm glad you're making it. I love the vinegary kick with the scoop chips. Mmmm now I want it. Funny I hadn't looked at your blog today and I too did a food entry. What a coink-a-dink.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this "dip". (Not a bean lover either...) You have SO many great recipes!
Lu

Grant Gang said...

That looks totally yummy!! Thanks for sharing it. I'm glad your puppy is doing better. We had normal puppy poop Sat morning, what a relief. I told Lloyd Friday night that I don't need another body to worry about, not that I should worry but I know that you'd appreciate my sentiment. Miss you guys...lots!! Only thing better than getting a Gwen recipe would be to be eating it at her house, with Gwen!! :)

Kristina said...

Thankx for making this awesome snack for us last week. Sorry I didn't notice you posted the recipe and asked for it anyways. Blonde! LOL Very yummy!